Joe Licata, 10th grade Track Star.

Image courtesy of Mrs. Evie Bachman.

JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA – Sophomore Joe Licata represented Jupiter Christian School at the Florida State Finals Track Meet on May 15th.

Joe qualified for States in the 400m dash at the Regional Meet, placing first, with a time of 48.93 seconds. This was Joe’s second time competing at the state level. Last year, Joe took 7th place in the 800-meter race. This year, Licata got off to a good start and was out in front by the 300-meter mark. It looked like he was going to take first place. However, with twenty-five meters to go, Joe stumbled slightly, losing his stride and finishing a split second behind his friend Mike from The Benjamin School. Joe took home silver, with a time of 48.58, just 0.1 seconds behind the first-place runner. Joe says that while running, his only thought  was, “Just to stay ahead, go fast, keep my legs moving, and just keep sprinting.” Joe also qualified this year for the 200m dash but was unable to compete due to heat exhaustion after the 400m.

According to Joe, his favorite part of the day was running on a high-quality track. Joe talked about his routine preparing for states, explaining the importance of getting enough sleep and eating well the night before. Joe was cheered on by Senior Track Coach Diane Beach, JCS Athletic Director Matt Weston, and Joe’s parents, Evie and Chris Bachmann and Mr. and Mrs. Licata.

Joe explained that he faced a few challenges resulting from his participation in States, the biggest of which was missing the AP exam for AP World History. Because of States, Joe has to make up the exam on the 24th, which would be fine, except that it is the same day as his brother’s graduation. Joe however says that he will make it work, and is thankful for more time to study.

Licata plans on moving forward to compete in mid-June at Nike Nationals, hosted at Hayward Field, located in Western Oregon. Joe says that he will rest for a few days before beginning his training again for Nike Nationals.