The Power of Change

The Power of Change

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – February 2, 2023 – Paula Fabrega is a freshman at JCS who took charge to spread awareness about the harms of social media.

Paula’s passion and determination to stop the harms of social media all started after a speech assignment from English class.

Paula Fabrega noticed a problem in the world that she wanted to change. It is the harm of social media. Paula was challenged by her teacher to start spreading awareness about whatever topic her speech was on. Therefore, Paula made an Instagram account @MakeChange2023 to start spreading her topic. During the challenge, Paula found her passion to stop the lack of knowledge that people have about the harmful effects of social media. Paula uses this platform to share her voice. Paula has also learned about the importance of a healthy mental state.

With her Instagram platform she has challenged her peers to start a social media detox to create a healthy relationship with their social media. She said, “Just because you see it on social media doesn’t mean you should do it.” Her end goal is spreading awareness of the harmful effects that social media can have on your body mentally and physically.

She plans to keep the account going through high school, especially because high school can be a tough time for many people and social media is a big factor. She stated, “The account speaks for itself.” So far, she has posted challenges on ways to remove social media from your life in healthy ways. Since starting this account Paula has found a sense of community and support. Through her account many people connected with each other and supported each other. It has brought unity.

Having this assignment has brought attention to Paula about the problem she sees with social media. She has seen many people fall for social media and change their life because they have been influenced. Or even people being bullied from social media, which can lead to worse things. So far Paula has gained nothing but support from all her friends, teachers, and family. This has encouraged Paula to keep going and making change. This has impacted Paula spiritually by studying God’s word more on this topic. She is eager to learn God’s view of social media.

This has made her more self-aware. If she did not have this assignment Paula said she was unsure if she would still have made this account and spread awareness. She says, “It really opened my eyes to the world of social media.” With this assignment, it brought the attention of the harm to her, but it also has been something she has always been passionate about.

Paula Fabrega is a notable example that no matter what your topic is or what age you are, you can make a change.