JV Softball: Looking toward the New Season

Batter up! Madison King readies to send the ball into the outfield.

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL, FEBRUARY 13, 2024 – Imagine being so dedicated to a sport that you play it year after year, starting from a young age. Middle schoolers Macy Lipsit, Jael Wall, and Madison King shared that they have played softball for at least two years, with a minimum of four more years to finesse their budding talent. Because of this, I decided to ask from where the inspiration to join the team came.

Macy, who was convinced to play by friend and teammate Mallory Whittemore, has been playing since 5th grade, while Jael and Madison are only in their second season playing for JCS. When asked for their inspiration to start playing, Jael credits her older brother, Justice, with encouraging her to try out, especially because of her love of baseball. Madison shared that she has played off and on since 2021. However, last year was her first year at JCS and with the team. Her inspiration, she recalled, was because she found the sport interesting and because she enjoyed forming friendships with other people and watching other teams.

Macy, Jael, and Madison are returning players, so it was only natural to ask what their favorite memories from previous seasons were. A shared favorite from last season featured the whole team getting dinner at Tijuana Flats before grabbing dessert at Sweet Frogs. Jael added that she enjoyed the tradition of “playing tic-tac-toe with the other team on the ball” whenever they experienced a rain delay. Madison stated that she loved playing in the outfield, the position she held last season. She loved being able to catch the ball and communicate with other people in the outfield. Madison also expressed that she liked the team tradition of getting food together after a game.

“Our coaches are really good at getting us well-prepared,” Macy stated when I asked how prepared they feel for their first game. As a Junior Varsity team, the girls are unsure which teams they will face this season. However, they are confident in their team’s capabilities. Despite having some new members unused to playing softball, Jael stated that “I think we’ll do pretty well.” Her teammates were quick to agree with the statement.

Their first game, scheduled for the 23rd of February, will kick off their season, taking them through the end of April. After interviewing these young women, I cannot wait for the season to start and watch the team’s growth!