Image courtesy of Pixabay.com.
What is Kawasaki?
May 10, 2024
Image courtesy of Pixabay.com.
1 John 4:19
May 10, 2024

JCS Football Tackling Drills

Screenshot
Screenshot

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – Every Wednesday and Monday afternoon, the Football team meets on the wrestling mat at 3:15 for our tackling drills. It is expected that each player wears their gray “Jupiter Christian Football” shirt along with their black Jupiter Christian shorts. Being on time is crucial as the team aims to begin right on time at 3:15, so everyone needs to be present and ready to go.

The tackling drills are a series of specific exercises designed to improve our skills when it comes to tackling. The first drill involves players pairing up and forming three lines. One player is the tackler while the other stands still across from him. When Coach Baz’s whistle blows, it’s time to go. The tackler wraps up their partner and takes them down. This action repeats three times before the pairs switch roles, making sure that both players get a chance to tackle and be tackled from both sides. It’s a basic drill, but it is fundamental for mastering tackling in season.

Moving on to the second drill, the team splits into two lines at opposite ends of the wrestling mat. One line is designated as the tackling group, while the other is the group getting tackled. Those in the tackling line jog towards their partners, ready to wrap them up and drive them back. The players getting tackled jog in a line while holding bags to create padding from the impact of the tackler.

Finally, it is time for the final drill. Two lines face off against each other, one as the tackling line and the other as the group getting tackled. The player getting tackled jogs out and chooses a direction, keeping the tackler guessing. The challenge for the tackler is to adjust accordingly, while tracking the opponent’s inside hip and executing a solid wrap up and drive.

After everyone has had their turn at both tackling and being tackled, the tackling drills come to an end. With the drills complete, we take a short break before beginning the rest of our workout in the weight room for the day.