Benefits of Physical Education and Health

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – Whether you love it or hate it, Physical Education and Health class is beneficial for everyone’s health.

Mrs. Eisenback, JCS’s Health and P.E. teacher, has been teaching at JCS for 32 years. She started by teaching P.E. and then, 6 years later, she started teaching Health as well. Mrs. Eisenback is a JCS alumni and got her degree in Physical Education. During high school, she always played sports and loved P.E. and had great P.E. teachers that she looked up to. Mrs. Eisenback strives to make sure that P.E. and Health class is an influential and beneficial course. “As a Physical Education teacher, I have always fought to prove my worth in my area because too many Physical Education teachers just roll out a ball and it’s a glorified recess,” says Mrs. Eisenback, showing she seeks to make P.E. a beneficial course for all students

At JCS, one year of Health and P.E. is required to graduate. It is actually a state mandate at all Florida schools, but at JCS the benefits of P.E. and knowing how to keep yourself healthy are valued even more. Mrs. Eisenback also said in her interview, “If I didn’t think it was beneficial, I don’t think I would have gotten my major in it. I don’t think I would continue to teach it.” She also said, “I know the benefits of it, and one of those benefits would be the overall health of my students.” Health and P.E. are not just about being healthy for the required year needed to take it. It is also about being healthy in the future and trying to maintain your health. “If I can get my students to think about the future and being active, hopefully they’re going to live a long, healthy, active life and enjoy their life,” Mrs. Eisenback explained, expressing how starting to be healthy now feeds into the bettering of your future.

Teaching Health and P.E. through a Christian perspective is also a big part of Mrs. Eisenback’s Health curriculum and JCS’s overall values. “I love teaching through a Christian viewpoint because you are getting God’s blessings on your life. The world will say one thing, God says something different, and the world isn’t protecting you from the consequences, but God is,” Mrs. Eisenback explained.

The values of JCS can be seen in Mrs. Eisenback’s Health and P.E. curriculum, and can make you healthy and keep you healthy for the rest of your life.