Mr. Wilson’s Insights on Teaching the Bible

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL, August 22, 2022 – Mr. Wilson is the lead Bible teacher at Jupiter Christian. Mr. Wilson became a Bible teacher because he has seen how much God has helped him in his life, and he has experienced God’s love, so he wanted to show that to his students. “Seeing students understand the Bible is inspiring,” says Mr. Wilson.

Mr. Wilson wants his students to know who God is, His story, and how those things fit into His overall plan. His favorite passage is Proverbs 17:14, “Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam, so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.” His favorite part of being a Bible teacher is that he gets to talk about God every day and see how his students get to know and understand the Bible more. His favorite classes in college were Ethics and Theology because they were the most rewarding classes. His teacher, Dr. Joe Davis, taught Ethics and Theology. He showed Mr. Wilson that we as Christians need to recognize different worldviews and challenge them. “Behind every statement there is a worldview,” Dr. Davis always said.

His favorite grade to teach is 9th grade because they are hungry for God’s word and want to know more about the Bible. Mr. Wilson says that 9th10th grade is the “sweet spot” for learning. His favorite things to teach in the Bible are the Gospels and Ethics. Mr. Wilson does not like to teach below abstract thinking [The ability to consider concepts beyond what we observe physically] because he is an abstract thinker.

Mr. Wilson recommends that Luke is a good place to start reading if you are a new believer. His personal favorite book in the Bible is the book of John! He enjoys reading the book of John because it helped him through personal struggles and because it was powerful to him. “God’s word is the most complex thing to understand, but it is definitely worth trying,” concludes Mr. Wilson.