Making Your Dash Count

CAMP IMPACT, September 9, 2022- To kick off our senior year, the Class of 2023 attended their Senior Retreat at Camp Impact in Okeechobee, FL. The day was packed with lots of exciting activities like the inflatable water obstacles, many sports activities, and, of course, dodgeball. Yet what was most impactful was the connections we grew and made with each other and God.

Once we got off the bus, we headed over to the covered area to pray and go over the activities planned for the day. After prayer everyone got to check out the whole area. It seemed to have everything. Water sports, basketball, football, dodgeball, and an obstacle course. “My favorite part in free-time was flipping off the water trampoline,” shared AJ Seymour.

One big part of JCS retreats is the unity they encourage. Although we are in a small school environment, we are not always able to connect with our classmates. With being outside and off of campus, this was the perfect opportunity to talk with new students. “It was really awesome to talk to some new faces on the retreat. It gave me more of an idea of who the people in my grade really are,” AJ Seymour added.

The way students really got to know each other was during lunch. Before we ate, Mr. Champion encouraged us all to sit next to new faces. This really worked because everyone in the senior class can agree that we all got to know our classmates a little better.

After lunch wrapped up, we had a chapel service. Pastor Bill Murawski gave a meaningful message on the importance of the legacy we leave behind and our calling to make our “dash” count. When asked what he was hoping students took away from his message, Murawski responded saying, “I want them to take the opportunities that are in front of them.” In other words, leave a legacy of greatness. Without a doubt, many students experienced an intense encounter with God on this trip and felt God’s words pour into them.

In my time at JCS, I believe it was the most impactful message I have heard. The small environment allowed a close connection to the Word. Many teachers were able to speak to the students about faith, especially if it was their first time accepting Christ.

From the words of our 2023 class, everyone had a great time. “Even if you did not take a ball to the head, or jump off an inflatable, there was always something to participate in. I hope JCS continues to bring their seniors to Camp Impact. This was a great trip for many reasons,” says AJ Seymour. I hope the word from this year’s senior class about our retreat can have an impact on the classes to come to make their retreats even better.