Speak Life

Speak+Life

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – High School teachers implement anti-bullying program during Advisory.

Bullying takes place in all schools and always needs to be addressed. Bullying should not be something that we joke about. Instead, we should come together as a community to stop bullying.

“Bullying is an issue in every school, whether or not schools would like to admit that, so I think that it is a topic that should be talked about personally, all year round,” says Ms. Donahue. She and several others came together to start the bullying program at Jupiter Christian School.

The program, which was called “Speak Life”, took place during the month of October, which is anti-bullying month. During Advisory, students watched an anti-bullying musical and had follow-up lessons based on the movie. In the movie, students were able to see students their age stand up against bullying. They also saw how easily and often bullying occurs.

“I hope the biggest takeaway is that students see how bullying can affect people and not only will they not bully but they will stand up for other people who are being bullied,” says Donahue.

Watching the movie will have hopefully helped students learn the right way to stand up for their peers. The movie should have also inspired students to have the courage to tell someone how they are feeling when they are being bullied.

The word bullying can be a word that is not often defined properly. Some people may feel as though they are being bullied when they are truly not. Cyber-bullying is another way bullying occurs. Students may face social media threats for many different reasons. All forms of bullying are wrong and can often lead to hurtful situations.

“Our school has Christian values, so I think being kind to each other is one of the biggest things we can do as Christians,” says Donahue. Everyone may not like each other, but you still must be kind and respect everyone. It is also important to remember that when you are not kind to someone you are affecting not only them but also yourself.

Bullying should not be a habit that you have. You should learn to love everyone as Christ loves you. Christ loves us all despite all our flaws, so we should have a love for others as followers of Christ.

The “Speak Life” program may have not had scripture attached to it, but we should always remember to keep doing the right things as Christ would want us to. As the golden rule states, “Treat others the way YOU want to be treated.”

Are you going to choose to be a bystander? Or are you going to be someone who stands up for your peers?

Some advice Ms. Donahue gave to us all is to, “Remember if you stand up to a bully, then maybe it will give someone else the courage to do it too.”