Social Media and School

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – Social Media has a clear impact on our school’s culture. It shapes our emotions and actions. “Social Media is a tool just like a hammer. It can be used to build something up, or to tear something down,” says Mr. Payne.

Mr. Payne is the dean of our high school. He was formerly a history teacher, but he made the switch to his new role because he wanted to be in a position where he could mentor and help students when they are at their lowest moments. He really wants to help the student body and guide them through difficult times in their lives in a loving but firm manner. Although he loves his new role as dean, he does miss being in the class and being able to joke around more with the kids.

Mr. Payne thinks that Social Media can be used for both good and bad. He believes that it can be beneficial because it helps students create a bond with each other, improves friendships, and can be a source for spreading kindness and joy. But on the other side, Social Media can also be a major distraction. Social Media can be used to tear down individuals.

Mr. Payne feels that Social Media has a significant impact on our students’ mental health. He thinks that due to Social Media and the Internet, students are not building healthy relationships with their peers or with themselves. Social Media sometimes can portray false expectations of life.

“It has turned a lot of face-to-face relationships to face-to-screen relationships,” says Mr. Payne.

Many teachers and faculty have thought of ways to prevent cyberbullying. Mr. Payne believes that the best way to end cyber-bullying is to change the hearts of the students. When people’s hearts are changed and they see the damage they are causing, then they can move away from that.

Although Mr. Payne thinks that anti-bullying programs are effective, he also thinks that we should start at the core of the problem. He wants to change students’ hearts and minds so they draw near to Christ.

“As you move closer to Christ, you move away from these types of behaviors,” says Mr. Payne. The influence on our school culture from social media has been fairly negative. It is something that is sadly pulling this society away from Christ. There are many ways to use social media to honor God, but we often find ourselves not using the Internet to God’s advantage but to our own.