Be the Mockingbird

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – November 17, 2022 – Ninth grade students at Jupiter Christian are required to read Harper Lee’s, To Kill a Mockingbird. The book is about a young girl, Scout, that is coming of age in the South. Scout narrates the story which portrays racial inequality, discrimination, classism, and being prejudice. In the book there are many characters that are introduced to illustrate a variety of personalities, the judgment that they elicit, and lessons they teach the reader.

Atticus, Scout’s father remarks, “But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal – there is one human institution that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockerfeller, the stupid man the equal of an Einstein, and the ignorant man the equal of any college president. That institution, gentlemen, is a court.”

As Christians, we are taught that the one “institution” that is the great equalizer is the Word of God or our Bibles. We are faced every day with situations not so different from what Scout describes. Many still face discrimination and prejudice. We live in a society that is quick to judge and point out our differences. However, the Word of God teaches us to be the reflection of God’s love and to give grace.

“Shoot all the Blue Jays you want if you can hit ‘em. But remember it’s a sin to kill a Mockingbird.” The Mockingbird represents innocence. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy…but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it is a sin to kill a Mockingbird.” The Mockingbird is just one of the many gifts that God has given us.

In all aspects of life, we, as Christians, need to recognize the sweet miracles we are witness to daily. We need to be Mockingbirds!