Enjoy the Present of Presence

BETHLEHEM, ISRAEL – When most people think of Christmas time, Santa Claus and the presents he delivers usually come to mind. Those of us who live in Florida may also think of the cooler weather to come or perhaps of taking a trip to see snow. We all get so caught up in what the season brings, but does anyone really remember the real reason Christians celebrate this season, the real present?

The google definition of Christmas is “The annual Christian festival celebrating Christ’s birth, held on December 25, in the Western Church,” but is that the real definition or is there more? Christmas is the season of presents, but it’s also the season for presence. Christmas should be more about giving, not receiving. Acts 20:35 says, “And everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus said, ‘It is more blessed to give than receive.'” This Christmas, instead of ripping through wrapping paper, appreciate the thoughtfulness of the time it took to wrap the gift, the care it took to pick out that gift and take the time to sit and enjoy every moment spent with family and friends. Enjoy their presence!

Christmas is a time to be present with family and friends and present in the presence of Jesus. 1 Peter 4:8-10 reads, “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace.”

Jesus is present every day. Christmas is a time to celebrate the gift of our Savior’s birth. Jesus is the gift we get to open every day as Christians. Isaiah 9:6 reminds us, “For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

This Christmas, take the time to sing “Happy Birthday” to Jesus. It is a wonderful opportunity to praise Him and to remind us of the real present we are celebrating!

“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins” Matthew 1:22-23.

Merry Christmas! Enjoy the present of His presence!