Image courtesy of Pixabay.com.
Sending Sunshine
April 11, 2024

Laziness in Sports

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – Today I interviewed Lauren Rice about laziness in sports.

I started off by asking Lauren what she thinks makes people lazy. She said that she thinks it is when “…people do not get their way, and when they are not fully interested and committed to what they are doing it can lead to not being motivated.” Sometimes athletes do not show up to practice and some individuals did not want to help the team. Lauren thinks that an athlete can become lazy when they feel that they are not doing well in the sport or if they lose confidence as well as motivation. Also, if the individual feels that it is not fun or interesting to them, they can become lazy.

Unfortunately, this is a reoccurring issue for many athletes today. Lauren said, “There are more lazy people because they do not get their way.”

She said that she would consider herself a bit lazy, but I am sure that is how we all feel sometimes! Lauren said something that I really liked. She said, “I know I need improvement as well” and that is a very humble thing to say. She also said that she tries her best to set an example and “…put myself out there” – which is great. Lauren did explain that sometimes there are individuals that are good at their sport but also lazy. Those individuals will not be able to excel considering they are not putting in the work and effort it takes to improve.

Someone can do better in their sport by putting in the effort – doing their best for every game and practice they may have, which, understandably, is a challenging thing to do. However, trying to put in the extra time will help greatly. Building others up, not complaining about every event or mishap that may happen, and not constantly going against the coaches’ instructions can make everything run more smoothly. Surrounding yourself with people who care about the sport and show up to practice is important.

Lauren did mention that many of the people on the Beach Volleyball team improved their skills this season and fought against the temptation to be lazy. Great job to all athletes this season!