Lovelady Lives!

Lovelady+Lives%21

OXBRIDGE ACADEMY, August 24, 2023 –– Amazing things happen every day, and we take them for granted, but some of these things are miracles from God that will have a huge impact on every one of us.

Jake Lovelady is a 9th grader at Jupiter Christian, where he has been playing football for two years. Jake started football in 8th grade because it was a contact sport and he wanted to do something after school. He started as a defensive end, but transitioned to linebacker after realizing it was a better position based on his body type. Jake explained that he has asthma, but it has never been a reason to avoid playing sports.

At the 2nd game of this year’s Varsity Football season, Jake was having a great game until he was called to play kickoff. Jake took a shoulder to his upper left chest causing blunt force trauma, but, being a dedicated athlete, he got back up and tried to make the play anyway. After the play, Jake had an asthma attack on the sideline. He was put in for several more plays before halftime, at which point Jake was in agonizing pain. Jake explained, “At halftime, Daniel Licata got the trainer to come over, and basically saved me because I couldn’t get air in. After that, it’s all like a blank.”

At first, no one could tell whether Jake might be having a heart attack. When the paramedics finally arrived, Jake’s air levels were at such a low level that brain damage was a possibility. With his consciousness going in and out, Jake still remembers talking to the paramedics on the ambulance in an attempt to divert his own attention from the issue at hand. Jake stated that on the ride to the hospital, “I couldn’t feel my legs, and I couldn’t feel my hands and I couldn’t really move.”

Once at the ER, X-rays showed that Jake had two broken ribs and possibly a collarbone. Several hours later, Jake did a CT scan and was told that neither the ribs, nor the collar bone were broken. The doctors tried to explain the image on the X-ray as a growth plate, but Jake and his family could clearly tell that the ribs had been broken just hours before. The Lovelady family is convinced that this could only be a miracle done by God. Jake explained, “Doctor Cohen was praying over me the entire time I was at the endzone, and I was getting sent prayers from everyone.”

Jake explained that before arriving at the hospital he was very scared both for himself and his family, mainly due to the knowledge that he almost had a heart attack. Jake remarked that the days after the incident he was very sore and unable to attend school, so he got behind in classes. “It still is hard to breath. It really got normal about a week after.”

Jake talked about how this miracle has impacted him. “I used to never read my Bible. I was only a ‘go to church on Sunday’ kind of guy. Now I’m praying as often as I can, and I do read my Bible more consistently.” Jake is also thankful that this happened during his freshman year so that he has time to straighten everything out before senior year and still have a chance at playing football at a higher level. Jake has recently been cleared and was able to resume playing football in time for Homecoming.

This year we are looking forward to seeing many miracles play out, and the impact they have on us as a student body. As Jake told me, “Just stay faithful. Trust that He will guide you and keep you safe.”