The Culture of Worship

Jupiter Christian School, January 24, 2023 – What is the culture of worship? Is the culture of worship good or bad at Jupiter Christian?

The culture of worship needs to change. The definition of worship on the Internet is, “The feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for deity.” Although this is true, the Bible’s definition of this word is different. Biblically, worship is defined as, “Homage or grateful submission to God.”

Sean Lehnhoff is a student here at Jupiter Christian School. He has been playing the drums for seven consecutive years. He joined the Worship team at Jupiter Christian in 2021 as a way to become closer to God, and he wanted to be more involved with the community at school.

Sean thinks that the culture of worship at Jupiter Christian is decent but needs improvement. “We all have a similar goal; we all want to get closer to God,” says Sean. When you think about worship, it is supposed to be about you and God. It is not about anyone else around us.

We can change the culture of worship if everyone is focusing on God and not worrying about the person to the left or right of us. If we do this, we will have a more powerful experience with God during worship. We should not worry about what people think of us while worshipping. We should not be concerned if people are looking at us when our eyes are closed, and we are having a moment with God.

Sean believes some aspects of the student body culture of worship need some help. “Some of the students do not really want to worship,” says Sean.

Why is worship important in Christianity? The simple answer to this is – to spend time with God alone and to worship the Creator. We should be thankful for the sacrifice of Christ that provides our salvation.