Spike ball: A Spiritual Genesis

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – Spike ball is one of the most fun up and coming sports and hobbies.

It has gained the attention of many sports enthusiasts, and nowhere has its affect been so influential as at Jupiter Christian School. It is attractive because of many things; the finesse required, the power exemplified, the reactions honed, and the connections formed; but why do members of the spike ball club at Jupiter Christian School keep coming back for more every day? No sport alone, no matter how fun, can keep people of all ages and qualities coming back for more. It is because of the bonds formed, the opportunities for spiritual growth, and the evangelical opportunities present.

Not all members of the spike ball club have it figured out. In fact, some would go so far as to say no one has it figured out. However, those who have chosen to follow Jesus Christ take the invitation to “make fishers of men” (Matthew 4:19) very seriously. Many Christians seek places where they can share the gospel and make a difference in other people’s lives. Many of these Christians are not successful in this enterprise, and as a result lack the opportunity to share the Gospel. However, the spike ball club provides the opportunity for evangelizing; and what better place to do so than at lunch, playing spike ball with people who would normally never be together?

People as old as Juniors interact on a friendly level with people as young as Freshmen. The Juniors are able to provide advice, guidance, fellowship, and fun to people who may not have it otherwise. The Freshmen year is hard for everyone; wrought with insecurities, judgement, and immaturity, many people endeavor to just be done with the year and move on. But lunch-time spike ball provides a time and activity where people can forget their stressful lives and engage in friendly competition, on every day except for Friday. On Friday, spike ball is put on hold while the students all partake in a Bible study. This presents them with another opportunity to learn more about Jesus. Consequently, some people may even begin their own journey with Christ, which makes it all the more worth it.