A Past Full of Uniforms

JUPITER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – Mrs. Carman, a very loved teacher here at JCS, was asked to give her opinion on the updated dress code.

Mrs. Carman has been working as a teacher at JCS long enough to see almost every version of the uniform. She began working at this school 25 years ago. Uniforms have been a part of JCS the entire 25 years. She believes that uniforms are beneficial to our school.

She says, “It takes away the distraction of people looking to see how others are dressed.” They leave no room for comparing ourselves to other people, which allows for more focus on school. With that being said, Mrs. Carman does really like the additions to the dress code. She feels that the longer skirts, tucked in shirts, and belts make the uniform look neater and more professional. In the past, the school had removed those details from the dress code, but she is glad to see them back.

The dress code has made some changes since she joined here. “I’ve seen it change where it got more lenient, and I’ve seen it change where it got stricter,” says Mrs. Carman. For example, students had to wear a certain outfit for chapel years ago. They were required to wear a tie and an oxford shirt. She believes that the chapel attire may have made students take chapel more seriously. Though we do not have that as part of the dress code anymore, she did comment how she appreciates the closed toe shoes that are required, especially in her science lab.

While Mrs. Carman does like the new dress code and uniforms, she really enjoys the dress down days. She thinks spirit days and dress down days make school a little bit more fun. Knowing that Mrs. Carman has been here for quite a while, she was asked what her thoughts were of teachers wearing uniforms and following a dress code. She says, “If they had a uniform, I would follow suit!” Years ago, she was a medical technologist. So, she is very used to wearing a uniform, for example scrubs. Maybe in the upcoming years teachers in uniforms will become part of the dress code.

All in all, Mrs. Carman is a fan of the new dress code. She believes they look neater and more professional than they were before. She’s curious to see what changes will be made in the future. But for now, she appreciates what JCS is doing with the dress code.